I. Requirements and procedures for applying for a visa to China

International students need to apply for a visa to China at the Chinese embassy or consulate in their home countries. For information on Chinese embassies and consulates in your country, please visit the website of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/
      1) Students who will study in China for more than half a year shall hold an X1 visa. The visa is valid for 30 days. After entering China with an X1 student visa, the student shall obtain a residence permit within 30 days. Students are advised not to enter China too early as they are only eligible to apply for a residence permit after registering at the university.

2) Students who study in China for less than 180 days shall enter China with an X2 visa, and the validity period will be indicated on the visa page. The holder can stay for a specified number of days from the date of entry, up to a maximum of 180 days. Students who enter China with an X2 visa do not need to apply for a residence permit. One can only travel to and from China once with an X2 visa.
Documents required for visa application:
      1) Original valid ordinary passport;
      2) Original admission notice;

      3) Original Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW201/202);

      4) Physical examination form for foreigners;

      5) Blood test report.

Procedures of application:

      1) Make an appointment for visa application;
      2) Bring relevant documents to the local Chinese embassy or consulate to apply for a visa;   

      3) Get back the passport and get a visa to China.
Note: Please also get back the original admission letter and Form JW201/JW202. These are important documents when applying for a residence permit after arriving in China.

II. Apply for a residence permit

After entering China with an X1 visa, international students shall apply for a residence permit within 30 days at the Exit-Entry Administration Department at least one week in advance. Required documents include:
      1) Original and photocopy of the valid passport and visa;
      2) The official letter of the university and the Admission Notice indicating the study period;

      3) Visa application letter (issued by the International Education College);

      4) The original copy of Visa Application for Study in China in yellow (Form JW201 or JW202);

      5) Fill in the Application Form for Visa and Residence Permit for Foreigners, and paste a 2-inch recent frontal bareheaded photo in colors against a white background;
      6) Temporary accommodation registration certificate (mobile self-registration);

      7) For applicants who will study for more than one year and are over 18 years old, the original Verification Certificate of Physical Examination Records for Overseas Persons issued by the designated institution is required.

Address and working hours of the Exit-Entry Administration Department

Exit-Entry Administration Department of Nanjing Public Security Bureau

Address: No. 173, Baixia Road, Qinhuai District, Nanjing

Tel: 025-84420004

Working hours: Monday to Saturday, 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00


Exit -Entry Administration Department of Jintan Security Bureau, Changzhou Public Security Bureau

Address: NO. 999, Huayang South Road, Jintan District, Changzhou City

Tel: 0519-82396383

Working hours: Monday to Friday: a.m.08:30-11:30, p.m. 14:00-17:30 (May 1st-Sep.30th);a.m.08:30-11:30, p.m. 13:30-17:00(Oct.1st-April 30th)

III. Validity period of residence permit

According to relevant regulations, the permit for stay is valid for six months and the residence permit is valid for one year.

IV. Application fees for a residence permit
The residence permit valid for less than one year costs CNY 400 per person.

V. Revocation of residence permit
 According to the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, foreigners who engage in activities inconsistent with the reasons claimed for their stay or residence, or violate Chinese laws and regulations and thus shall not stay or reside in China, could be ordered to leave China within a time limit.



  • 河海大学官方微信
  • 河海大学国际教育 学院官方微信