About Hohai University
Established in 1915, Hohai University is one of the earliest higher education institutions in China. Located in Nanjing, China, the University has developed into a leading comprehensive university covering engineering, natural sciences, economics and management, and social sciences. Hohai University is one of the 75 state key universities directly governed by the Ministry of Education of China and one of the 56 Chinese universities with graduate schools. The University is very strong in engineering, particularly in Water Resources Engineering and Environmental Science and Engineering, which are on the China Double World Class Program and rank the first and the eighth nationwide among all Chinese universities. The disciplines of Engineering, Environment/Ecology, Computer Science, Materials Science, Agricultural Science, Earth Science, Chemistry, and Social Sciences at Hohai rank top 1% on ESI.
Hohai University considers globalization one of the key strategies for our development. The University has intensive international collaboration with our global partners, including TUDelft in the Netherlands, University of California Los Angeles, Georgia Institute of Technology, Arizona University in USA, University of Lille in France, University of British Columbia and University of Waterloo in Canada, and Western Australia and University of Queensland in Australia. The collaboration includes joint degree programs, joint research studies, and student and faculty exchange programs. The University has about 1,400 international students coming from more than 100 countries.
Graduation and Degree Awarding
Aiming to cultivate interdisciplinary Hohai professionals with the ability to understand Chinese culture and have an international vision, the standard length of schooling for master’s student is set to 3 years (no less than 2 years& no more than 5 years), and the standard one for doctoral student is set to 4 years (no less than 3 years& no more than 6 years).
Those who have completed all courses stipulated in the academic plan and passed all the exams and thesis defense shall be awarded the graduate diploma. Those who pass the degree examination shall be awarded the corresponding academic degree. According to the relevant regulations of Ministry of Education, China, graduate students taught in English should reach level 3 of <Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages>.
Non-Chinese citizens with valid passports, physically and mentally healthy, shall abide by Chinese laws and regulations, respect Chinese traditions and customs. Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign nationalities shall follow the relevant regulations of Ministry of Education, China.
The master's applicant should have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent one, under age 35; the doctoral applicant should have a master’s degree or equivalent one, under age 40.
Majors and Disciplines
In 2023, 23 PhD and 30 master programs taught in English are available for international students.
The master programs:
The PhD programs：
The applicants of Chinese taught PhD and master programs must hold HSK 5 certificate or above.
1. Scanned copy of the passport (Valid after Aug.30, 2024);
2. Scanned copies of all the original diplomas and degrees starting from undergraduate (Chinese or English version); Those to be graduated should provide the proof of graduation from current school. The expected time to obtain the degree should be earlier than Aug.31, 23. The diploma/degree must be submitted when registering.
3. Scanned copies of the original transcripts with all the courses starting from the undergraduate (Chinese or English version);
4. Curriculum vitae (Consecutive study experiences since undergraduate. Full study experience is required for those who have studied in China);
5. Scanned copies of the China related visa and residence permit, including all the study experiences. Upload your passport instead if there isn't any;
6. A personal statement or study plan, including the study and work experiences, academic achievements, study plan and development targets, etc. at least 800 words;
7. English language proficiency certificate (For applicants from non-English speaking countries, TOEFL, IELTS, GRE or other proof of their English proficiency is required);
8. Two recommendation letters from associate professors or above in a related academic field (English or Chinese version);
9. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Attachment 1). The applicant should conduct the examination strictly according to the list. The result is valid for 6 months.
10. Financial proof (either the family deposit certificate, property certificate or parent/guardian income certificate, over $5000 suggested);
11.Catalogue and abstract of published papers if there is any;
12. Non-criminal record (Those to be graduated may provide the proof of good performance at the current university);
13. Signed personal commitment (Attachment 2);
1. Certificates uploaded must be original or notarized in Chinese or English.
2. The files uploaded must be colored scanned copies of the original ones.
3. The applicants should guarantee that the information and materials provided are accurate and genuine without any counterfeiting, otherwise the admission will be cancelled.
Jan.1-Jun. 20, 2023.
Complete the online application of Hohai University via http://admission.hhu.edu.cn and pay the 400RMB application fee, which is not refunded.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship
1) Bilateral Program (Type A)
Bilateral Program includes a full or partial scholarship in accordance with educational exchange agreements or consensus between Chinese government and governments of other countries, institutions, universities or international organizations.
Applicants should apply from the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate and fill in Hohai University as the first choice. Hohai University doesn't accept this type of application directly, while a pre-admission can be provided for the qualified candidate to facilitate the application.
See below for the reference:
2) Chinese University Program (Type B)
Applicants needs to complete both the China Scholarship Council and Hohai University online applications respectively on http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/ (Agency Number: 10294) and http://admission.hhu.edu.cn.
Chinese government scholarship is subject to an annual evaluation regulation. It's up to the annual review result whether the candidate will be continuously sponsored.
2. Hohai University Scholarship
Hohai University scholarship is annually reviewed, based on the candidate's academic result, research and comprehensive performances. The result will be updated each academic year.
1) The first-class scholarship includes tuition, on-campus accommodation, comprehensive medical insurance and monthly allowance.
2) The second-class scholarship includes tuition and on-campus accommodation.
3) The third-class scholarship includes tuition.
3. Nanjing Municipal Government Scholarship
The scholarship is 20,000RMB/year.(Annual Review).
The applicant shall download “the Application Form for Nanjing Government Scholarship for International Students” on https://ie.hhu.edu.cn/14691/list.htm, fill in the form and upload it to the online application system as an attachment.
Charge and Refund Policy
Application fee: 400RMB/$60
Applicants shall pay 400 RMB online through Hohai Payment Platform or transfer $60 to the university's bank account. The application fee is non-refundable. (see Attachment 3 for payment guidance)
Accommodation: 9600-24,000RMB/year subjects to different conditions on Xikang Road Campus; 12,000RMB/year/single room on Jiangning Campus, not yet decided on Changzhou Campus.
Tuition and accommodation fees are only paid in RMB. 70% of the tuition can be refunded and the accommodation fee will be calculated accordinglyif quitting within 2 weeks of the registration date. The refunds shall be settled in RMB. Anyone who requests to withdraw from school has to submit the hard copy of an application and return the invoice. No refund after 2 weeks. The expelled students due to violation of school rules and regulations will not get any refund.
International students must apply for comprehensive medical insurance of RMB 800/year in accordance with relevant national regulations and requirements of the university, otherwise they will not be registered.
Admission and Announcement
In accordance with the order of application, the university will comprehensively evaluate the applicant's educational background, academic performance, school performance, research ability and development potential, etc. and organize an interview to select the best.
Applicants should pay attention to the application email or track the application status online.
The official admission result is subject to the notice of Hohai University. The university will send the admission notice, visa application form for study in China (Form JW201/202) and other materials to the applicants.
The PhD students in the College of Hydrology and Water Resources, the College of Water Conservancy and Hydropower Engineering, the College of Harbor, Coastal and Offshore Engineering, the College of Civil and Transportation Engineering, the College of Environment and the College of Oceanography will live on Xikang Road Campus.
Other students will be arranged in the corresponding campuses according their majors. The facilities of each single room include the bed, desk, closet, chair, hot water, internet access, toilet and public laundry room.
Visa Application and Registration
Those who’re enrolled shall submit ordinary passport, the admission notice, visa application form for study in China (Form JW201/202), physical report and blood test report to local Chinese Embassy or Consulate to apply for a student visa (X1) to China. The applicant shall bring all the above materials and register at International School of Hohai University within the appointed time on the admission notice.
The candidate's information and materials will be reviewed again by the university. The admission will be canceled if the applicant:
1. Having not obtained the required diploma/degree;
2. Have violated any discipline;
3. Being dishonesty or fraud;
4. Having registered at other university at the same time.
International School, Hohai University
Add: No.1, Xikang Road, Gulou District, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China
Zip Code: 210098
Tel: +86 25 83787955
Fax: +86 25 83787981
Attachments: 1. Foreigner Physical Examination Form
International School, Hohai University
Scan to Share